uplbPastillas de leche, or more commonly known as ‘pastilyas’ had been a well-loved delicacy among Filipinos for many generations. Young and old, pastilyas is a safe option if you are running out of ideas on what to serve next for your family, friends or even for yourself.
Luckily, pastillas de leche is not hard to prepare! You don’t have to be a professional chef to make this but you will surely feel like one. Kerlyn Bautista (2016) from Delishably shared how everyone can create this all-time favorite snack. Add the magic of creamy and rich buffalo milk to this recipe and surely, everyone will fall in love with your pastillas de leche.
What you need:
- 1liter of pure buffalo (water carabao)’s milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ladle for stirring
What to do:
- Pour the fresh buffalo milk into the pan and add the sugar.
- Add ½ teaspoon of cornstarch into the mixture.
- Put the pan over medium heat while slowly and continuously stirring until the texture thickens. Once the desired thickness is achieved, lower the heat.
- Over low heat, continue stirring until you can fold the mixture then lift it off from the pan.
- Put the mass of mixture into a bowl to cool.
- While waiting to cool, sprinkle ½ teaspoon of cooked cornstarch on a board.
- Once cool, get a small lump of the mixture then roll it onto a board or shape it however you want it to.
- Plate the pastillas however you want, either wrapped into Japanese paper or leave it unwrapped if the pastillas will be consumed quickly.
- Serve the pastillas and enjoy!
- It takes about 45 minutes for the liquid milk to form into the thick texture of pastillas
- This recipe can make about 50 candies, weighing 5 grams each.
Watch Kerlyn’s video here!
Bautista, K. (2016) How to Make the Authentic Filipino Milk Candy Pastillas de Leche. Delishably. Accessed from: https://delishably.com/desserts/How-to-Make-the-Authentic-Filipino-Milk-Candy-Pastillas-de-Leche